School governors make important collective decisions and the governing body is responsible to parents and the community. Governing bodies should:
- Ensure the school achieves high educational standards
- Contribute to the School Improvement Plan and set priorities.
- Set the school’s policies, aims and targets.
- Appoint senior staff including the head teacher.
- Be involved in the recruitment of all other staff in consultation with the head teacher.
- Control the school budget.
- Ensure money is spent wisely.
- Ensure a broad and balanced curriculum which meets National Curriculum standards